Pages

Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Review: Historical Heartthrobs


Title: Historical Heartthrobs: 50 Timeless Crushes-From Cleopatra to Camus
Author: Kelly Murphy, Hallie Fryd
Format: egalley
Pub. Date: January 7th 2014
Source: Netgalley & Zest Books

★★★★

Four stars.

Historical Heartthrobs: 50 Timeless Crushes-From Cleopatra to Camus is a collection of fifty historical figures that all offer(ed) something rich to human life, and looked good while doing it. I'm not sure who decided that this book was one that needed penning, but I will say that I learned a lot of interesting historical tidbits from this collection.

Each figure listed is summarized in a bio, information about their sex/relationships, a few fun facts, quotes, a picture, why they're worth knowing, and more. A lot of information was packed into this book in a way that was easy to read and separate. This organization also made it a book good for stopping- you could easily pick up where you left off if you let it sit for awhile.

I really appreciated the diverse spectrum of figures that were represented. Both genders, different races, sexualities, nationalities, and professions were all represented within Historical Heartthrobs. I had heard of most of these figures but not others, so I walked away from this collection having learned some things. From pilots to Nazis to dancers, there is a figure in here for everyone.

This was really easy reading, and I liked the amount of photographs that were included. It helped to hold my attention and get a better sense of what the text was describing.

Historical Heartthrobs is a good book for anyone looking to learn a bit more history in a fun, interesting way. Thank you to Netgalley and Zest Books for my copy.

8 comments:

  1. This is definitely one for the shelf, I love history (and heartthrobs)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL what a fun idea. You do wonder sometimes how exactly these books came to be :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds really fun and interesting. I love books that you can pick up and put down at your leisure. I'll definitely check this one out. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. That was definitely a perk for this book.

      Delete
  4. Love the sound of this! One of my 2014 reading goals is to read more non-fiction!
    Thanks so much for stopping by! Jen @ YA Romantics

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great goal to have- I should really do the same.

      Delete