Pages

Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Mini Review: Down Among the Gods


Title: Down Among the Gods: A Novel
Author: Kate Thompson
Format: egalley edition
Pub. Date: July 16th 2013
Source: Netgalley and Open Road Media

★★★

Three stars.

Down Among the Gods is a novel that follows the romance of forty year old Jessie and journalist Patrick. Both souls are lonely and searching, until they meet at a class. It's told from the story of the Greek Immortal messenger Hermes, a "modern" look at romance and emotions involved with starting over in a relationship.

----

In short, I just found that this book was boring. I like the concept- the book is narrated by Hermes and is peppered with myths and legends surrounding the Greek gods and goddesses of Mount Olympus. I didn't really find any faults with this story, it just was too "chick-lit" for my liking. The writing was detailed but slow moving, the myths oversimplified but interesting. This book was perfectly adequate to read once, but it won't be long before I forget about this title. There's nothing that will make this book stand out to me.

I think that fans of chick literature, and women who are in an older age range than myself will appreciate this a lot more than I did. I cannot stress enough that this book simply was not my cup of tea. Do not let my rating hinder you. I sincerely hope that you enjoy it more than I could.

Thanks to Netgalley and Open Road Integrated Media for my copy of this book.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds like a good book to read in passing, but I don't think I'd run out to get it for myself. Great review as always babe :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah. I think I was simply out of the intended demographic.

    ReplyDelete