Pages

Saturday, December 1, 2012

Glitter in the Sun: A Bible Study Searching for Truth in the Twilight Saga by Jane Wells


★★★★

Four stars.

I received this book through Goodreads First Reads.

Glitter in the Sun is a a Bible study that uses aspects from the Twilight Saga by Stephenie Meyer to emphasize and reteach common lessons and morals from the Bible. For example, that we are all "imprinted" with God's love in the way that the werewolf pack imprints their mates- a love that is there whenever we need it, always. At the end of each chapters, Mrs. Wells has provided discussion questions and activities to help spark conversation and interest with this study.

I will be the first to admit that I am not this book's target audience- I'm not Christian. However, the prospect of reading a book with a positive opinion on modern literature intrigued me. I enjoy books that look at the blending of novels and religion, but more often than not they are damning, unfavorable opinions (like in Harry Potter and the Bible: The Menace Behind the Magick). I am glad to have received this book. I took things from it despite differences in faith, and admittedly, it made me think twice about the plot of the Saga. Plus, I very greatly appreciated how the Bible stories/verses that were mentioned were summarized and easy to understand and follow. Not being well versed on the Bible, I much preferred this strategy of writing than just a slew of direct quotes.

I give this book a 4/5, and recommend it to Christian young adults who enjoyed the Twilight series.

0 comments:

Post a Comment