Pages

Friday, November 30, 2012

Mosh Pit by Kristyn Dunnion


★★★★★

Five stars.

I positively adored this book.

Not recommended for the faint of heart, this book is full of drug use, profanity, and sexual references. If you don't mind all that (like me), then I cannot recommend it enough.

The book follows the story of lesbian protagonist Simone and her "best friend" Cherry, into a Gothic/Punk world of heavy metal, moshing, and crime. Simone's feelings haven't always been innocent towards Cherry, and Cherry uses this to manipulate her. Cherry gets swept up with a shady young man, and Simone is left to decide just how long she can watch her friend spiral deeper and deeper into drugs and trouble, when Cherry has no desire to be saved. The entire novel is speckled with Cherry's blog entries, a great way of showing her perspective. What I found to be even cooler was the soundtrack that adorned this book- bands and songs are mentioned in these blog entries, as well as by Simone throughout of the novel.

As part of the underground (as well as LGBT) scene, I found this book incredibly relatable. It gives a voice to an aspect of society that most publishers turn away. Once I started this book, it was nearly impossible for me to put it down.

0 comments:

Post a Comment